Sunday, June 24, 2012

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER - vampires in history out

Don't hate me but I can't honestly say I didn't enjoy this movie on some level. It has ridiculous action sequences that would usually annoy the crap out of me but I kind of enjoyed them within the context and setting of this bizarre vamp tale set in mid 19th century America.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was originally a novel by Seth Grahame-Smith penned in 2010. These psuedo horror dramas coming from within the world of classic novels and recent history is becoming quite popular and a genre all unto it's own. I can't say that I mind - it is interesting to see what some creative spin a gifted author can throw on an old tale. I scoff when people say we have all run out of ideas and movies like this are evidence of originality waning. This kind of story is exactly what originality is. Taking old stories and putting completely new spins on them to see what comes out on the other end - not always good but never too boring either.

New comer Benjamin Walker was a cool cat and a true bad ass with an axe. His elderly facial make up was great - better than Prometheus for sure. Timur Bekmambetov, the director, is a strange beast. I first saw his abnormal russian vampire movies, Night Watch and Day Watch which had some truly stunning visuals but lacked some convincing story elements. He conjures to mind Tim Burton with his quirky gothic style but not on the same level. Wanted was truly awful so I had all but written him off but this movie sheds some light on his surreal yet promising future. I certainly have never seen a horse stampede fight scene before! Next time they make a movie like this I hope they can incorporate more historical figures into the mix so the audience can relish at the fact that OMG General Lee was a Vamp!Story arcs of this nature would surely be welcome. I'm positive we'll get plenty more chances - for better or worse - vampires aren't going anywhere.


Recommended Viewing: Dracula 2000 - Interview With A Vampire - John Carpenter's Vampires



              Bob Scale: Objective: 6.6   -   Subjective: 7.0

             MetaCritic: 40
 Rotten Tomatoes: 39
                      IMDB: 6.3


No comments:

Post a Comment