Saturday, August 25, 2012

PARANORMAN - the new goth

Lovers of Coraline will enjoy this second stop motion attempt, ParaNorman, by the same producers. Its creepy cute with some clever homages thrown in for good measure. 

To be honest, I didn't really care all that much for Coraline, but I know the vast majority of critics raved about it as well as its many fans. I guess it just didn't strike a chord with me. ParaNorman was slightly more enjoyable but only slightly so. These two movies feel like a reinvention of Tim Burton's goth style, only the characters and sets are far more grotesque and ugly in many cases. I have no good reason for not liking these movies, I just don't care for the pacing, vibe and various other attributes of them. 

As I have mentioned before, I am a huge fan of stop motion. I have seen the first uses of this interesting art form since the late 19th century to King Kong to Ray Harryhausen all the way to Nick Park's Wallace and Gromit masterpieces. The stop motion revealed to us in these two films is no doubt as incredible as the films that led to the current technology. 

You most likely will enjoy ParaNorman as will your kids, if you have them. It might as well be an animated version of the 6th Sense, so if you liked that, give this a shot. The final sequence is breathtaking.


Recommended Viewing: The Curse Of The Were Rabbit - Jason And The Argonauts - Vincent


              Bob Scale: The Critic: 7.5   -   The Fan: 7.0
             MetaCritic: 73
 Rotten Tomatoes: 87
                    IMDB: 7.6

No comments:

Post a Comment