Sunday, April 1, 2012

WRATH OF THE TITANS - aaahh!! monsters

Another mythical Hollywood epic is to be expected here. Although a usual sequel, it surprised me more than the original effort in 2010. I liked this film more, I liked Sam Worthington more and the special effects were better. 

The story comes from no extant Greek mythology text but takes bits and pieces of ideas and of course all the popular characters and thus comes to a satisfactory amalgamation of plot and endless action. There is no time for much dialogue because there are literally only about 10 minutes of rest from hyper-deranged action sequences -  subsequently the paucity of speech leaves something to be desired. Worthington reminded me a bit of his character in Terminator when I was first introduced to him and liked him - that is to say, for the first time in a while, his performance wasn't irritating.

The film comes jam packed with famous, mostly British, actors, even though many of them have short screen time. Ralph Fiennes plays his token bad guy well, however, a small surprise near the end, awaits the viewer. Also Bill Nighy as the designer of Tartaros (Hell) was a great character indeed and for me was the most interesting part of the story. I won't say who gets axed but I will say that it's slightly annoying that so many so called GODS die in this movie. I though God's were God's because they have the power to remain immortal. Whats up with that?

Recommended Viewing: Clash Of The Titans (1981) - Jason And The Argonauts - Hercules (1961)

              Bob Scale: Objective: 6.0   -   Subjective: 6.5
             MetaCritic: 37
 Rotten Tomatoes: 24
                      IMDB: 6.5


No comments:

Post a Comment