Saturday, April 14, 2012

THE THREE STOOGES - slapstick for whippersnappers

Moe is not really what I need. I need Moe smart comedy and less Farrelly Brothers irreverent rubbish.  The modern refresh of The Three Stooges was slightly better than I expected from the preview. I pretty well knew what I was getting into but I try and do my best never to prejudge before I view a film myself. 

Stooges is slapstick gone haywire as it should, I guess, gleefully purloined from the original series and movies. Similar gags and sound effects are updated, which is most likely why it feels banal and cheap, for modern audiences. At least we have some Larry David nun impersonations for a few laughs.

Stooges is a hard remake to even attempt, which would suggest to me - why bother? You will never really be able to capture the magic of the originals because you don't have the hilarious actors from whence it all came. It would be like trying to redo Laurel and Hardy or Buster Keaton pictures - you could make them but they will always come up short. I think people just don't like characters they love, to die, or stay within the history from which they emerged. You don't need a remake to boost youthful interest in these grand oldies, they stand well enough on their own footing. Certain films have pulled of remakes from times long past but they are usually autobiographical, like Richard Attenborough's, Chaplin, with Robert Downey Jr. in the lead as the titular hero of all film comedy. Even that film had it's trouble.

Kids under 10 will enjoy this and for the most part it is child appropriate, especially if you want your kids poking their friends eyes out, smashing their heads into doors and a host of other gratifying acts of violence, oh but wait they warn against this practice at the films end. lol


Recommended Viewing: Clifford - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Howard The Duck (yes, it's great)

              Bob Scale: Objective: 5.5   -   Subjective: 5.5
             MetaCritic: 54
 Rotten Tomatoes: 45
                      IMDB: 5.9



No comments:

Post a Comment