Monday, February 27, 2012

GONE - but not forgotten

I watched the preview and thought this movie looked boring and silly. Much to my surprise it was not. Before I even decided either to view this film or not, I thought I would take a look at the directors previous work, Adrift. I thought Heitor Dhalia's narrative of a young French girl was riveting with a great twist and superb acting. A great coming of age story. That enticed me to see Gone, his second major work. 

I would suggest that Amanda Seyfried was good in some parts and not so good in others. There were moments that really felt like she was acting like a deranged teen more than actually embodying the character, especially in the scene where she tries to convince the police of her sanity and that her sister really had been taken. I also felt that Jennifer Carpenter (best known from Showtime's Dexter) was criminally underused in the overall plot line. 

Despite these pedantic nuisances, I thought the film was a compelling mystery that didn't make me want to bolt out of the theater. There is no great surprise ending and no fantastical movie conundrums but just enough reality mixed with ambiguity to make for a good thriller. I am interested to see what Dhalia does next.

Recommended Viewing: Don't Say A Word - Along Came A Spider - Don't Look Now

              Bob Scale: Objective: 6.8   -   Subjective: 7.0
             MetaCritic: 41
 Rotten Tomatoes: 12
                      IMDB: 5.5



No comments:

Post a Comment