Sunday, December 23, 2012

JACK REACHER - grasping at straws

Where the hell did this movie come from? It felt to me as if it was excised from some long lost 80's vault only to be projected for audiences to their lasting peril. Action TV from the last 10 years was better than this. 

You may as well call this a comedy of errors. The casting was not utilized to their full potential, the dialogue was god awful and the story was weak and lazy. I enjoyed a few scenes but the whole way through, the narrative pushes, felt coerced and forced. This film may be a candidate for a bad good movie. You get lines like "I mean to beat you to death and drink your blood with my boot!" Also, Cruise is portrayed like some modern day sherlockian bad ass with massive attitude which plays poorly. You may enjoy the GTA car chase and near complete lack of theme music or the last gun battle but I think laughter would be more appropriate. 

As for the cast, I believe Tom Cruise is still a viable actor and has worked on numerous projects worthy of his talents. This was not one of them. Oh Werner Herzog! Why oh why did you choose this movie!? I was so excited to see him play the arch nemesis. I thought he might be like Alan Rickman in Die Hard but he failed to make a lasting impression. Rosamund Pike was like a comic book heroine. Duvall was Duvall

It had a few moments of interest but all in all Jack Reacher lost his, already tenuous, grip on me. I'll wait for Oblivion next April. 

Recommended Viewing: A Few Good Men - Magnolia - Collateral - Born On The 4th Of July


              Bob Scale: The Critic: 4.9   -   The Fan: 5.4
             MetaCritic: 48
 Rotten Tomatoes: 63
                    IMDB: 7.3


No comments:

Post a Comment