Sunday, January 29, 2012

MAN ON A LEDGE - high and dry but lots of energy

Man On A Ledge was slightly better than I expected. It has your usual impossible plot line for a movie gimmick of this caliber, yet I found it enjoyable to watch. It reminded me of The Next Three Days which came out in 2010 and was a surprisingly enjoyable intense thriller also starring Elizabeth Banks. MOAL had the same kind of energy.

Sam Worthington has become for me what Michael Fassbender is and wishes he could be. The only movie I have been able to enjoy him in was Terminator Salvation in which I thought his character actually eclipsed that of Christian Bale. I thought I was really going to like this aussie but I never find myself connecting to him in all his subsequent performances including Avatar, Clash Of The Titans and Last Night. He looks a bit seedy and washed up in this film and it's hard for you to care about his problems. Not that looks should be the only influence on your opinion of character but in this instance they affected me negatively.

Worthington's costar, Jamie Bell, was very likable and however implausible the likelihood of the aforementioned and his scatterbrained girlfriend were at robbing a diamond from the multimillionaire Ed Harris's safe, they did so with an exciting dynamic. I would be surprised if the could successfully rob a candy store in real life. So if your looking to escape for a couple hours and watch a silly but enthralling spectacle unfold, then this movie is for you. It's a movie you might rent one day and be like "that wasn't as bad as everyone said."


Recommended Viewing: Rififi - The Next Three Days - A Shot In The Dark

                    Also Viewed: Underworld Awakening - I like this saga but this one was my least favorite 
                                           Redtails - a joke of epic proportions 
                                           Contraband - not bad, not great - some surprising twists

              Bob Scale: Objective: 6.5   -   Subjective: 7.0
             MetaCritic: 40
 Rotten Tomatoes: 23
                      IMDB: 6.5


No comments:

Post a Comment